Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Art of Darkness

Beer is such a subjective thing. What you like and what I like may be completely at odds but having tried The Art of Darkness for the first time this evening it left me needing to comment.

It's not that it's a bad beer. This lower strength black beer is full of hoppy flavours in the style of a black IPA but without the higher alcohol content you'd normally associate with that type of beer. It is, as all beers that come from Dark Star, a well crafted, technically good, product.

It's just ....... it's just ..... missing that vital quality that so many of their beers have. The thing that makes you down the last third so that you can have another one. It's missing the thing that stops you looking at the other hand pumps to see what else is available. Revelation has it in spades as did the Hophead Galaxy that I was fortunate enough to drink copious quantities of a few weeks ago.

Far be it from me to know where to start to improve the beer. All I know is that, for me, it was fun to drink but not fun enough to go back for more. Which sort of leaves me feeling a bit disappointed.

No comments: